Tuesday, February 1, 2011

filling five youngins...

We have five children...

Five growing, active children...

Five growing, active children that eat like ten children!

Mealtimes are something our family really looks forward to, but I struggle daily in the quest to fill these bottom less pits of children that God has to wonderfully blessed me with.

We all like our raw veggies around here. We also eat our weight in beans. And still they scrounge for food!

Today for lunch I aimed to make our grilled cheese healthier and more filling.

I came up with the following recipe...

1 can chickpeas, drained
1/4 C reduced fat sour cream...usually I use cottage cheese or ricotta, but I had none on hand.
1/4 C Mexican blend shredded cheese
garlic powder to taste...I added about 1/2 tsp

I dumped all of this in my food processor and hit the on button and let it go until it as all smooth and mixed. Then I spreaded this on whole wheat bread and grilled it with a smidgen of butter. I let is cook until the cheese was gooey and toast was browned.

This was a huge hit. I even added a pile of fresh spinach to mine...YUM!

The kids loved it and everyone is still full! That is worth so much to me.

What a great, tasty, and frugal lunch!

So, do you have any fun creations to share...you want to hear more ideas I have literally cooked up? Drop me a line in the comments! I will be waiting!

No comments: